Scripture: Daniel 3 NKJV
Observation: Daniel chapter 3 is a story about uncompromising, courageous faith in the face of death. King Nebuchadnezzar deliberately built a huge, golden statue of himself, based on a dream that only Daniel could interpret (Dan. 2:26-49). It was 90 ft high and 9 ft wide. A decree went out that at the sound of the music, you shall fall down and worship the golden image. Anyone who didn’t would be cast into a burning, fiery furnace. The crowd obeys his command, except, Meshach, Shadrach, and Abed-Nego. They believed in the one true God. Certain Chaldeans told the King and he gave them opportunity to deny their God, in which the three boys adamantly refused. They stood firm in their belief that God would deliver them. The King became so furious because they refused to worship him and his statue! He commanded that they heat up the furnace seven times hotter. They were bound, fully clothed and violently cast into the fiery furnace by the King’s mighty men of valor, who were subsequently killed by the flames themselves. To the King astonishment, the 3 Hebrew boys were not hurt. He takes a closer look, and he sees four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire. He announces to them that the form of the fourth man is like the son of God. The King calls them by name out of the fiery furnace, addressing them as servants of the most High God. All that had gathered to worship the idol saw that miracle that had taken place! God spared them! Their clothes were not burned, they were not harmed, and they didn’t smell of smoke. Nebuchadnezzar glorifies God and makes a proclamation that anyone who spoke out against the God of Meshach, Shadrach, and Abed-Nego would be cut into pieces and their houses made an ash heap. As a result of God’s miraculous deliverance and their unwavering faith in God, not only were the rest of Israelites given freedom to worship and protection from harm by the decree of King Nebuchadnezzar, but the three Hebrew boys were promoted in Babylon.
- God’s miraculous intervention at a moment’s notice isn’t promised. If it were, Christians wouldn’t need faith. Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego were faithful to God and trusted him without any guarantee of deliverance. Do you love God like that?
- Even in the face of death, Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego refused to deny their one true God. Although the whole town sinned, they refused to join in. They’d rather die than sin against God by worshiping an idol. Have you reached that point?
- Someone is always watching you! How did the Chaldeans see them not worshiping when they too were supposed to be bowing down to the statue? God’s eyes are everywhere. Sinner’s eyes are on the Christians. They’re just waiting for you to fail. Are you a Godly example?
- You cannot be a closet Christian. If you deny God before men, he will deny you. Nebuchadnezzar had no problem building an idol and publicly worshiping it. We as Christians shouldn’t be ashamed to publicly proclaim our salvation and our love for Christ, even if it costs us our lives. Nothing should separate us from our relationship with Christ. Are you as bold for Christ?
- God quenches the fiery darts of the enemy no matter how hot those darts get. Let the devil turn up the heat! Right in the midst of the heat, God is with us. The very ones who attempt to throw you in the fire will be burned themselves. The soldiers who escorted Meshach, Shadrach, and Abed-Nego to their deaths proved that the heat from the fire was not survivable without God! Focus on God, not the flames. You too will walk out unscathed and victorious, with no sign that you were ever in the trial. You won’t look like what you’ve been through. What is God trying to deliver you from?
Father, in the name of Jesus, we worship you! We honor you and we praise you for being God alone. Forgive us for our sins. Renew within us a clean heart and a right spirit. There is no other love so beautiful and complete than yours. Thank you for being the epitome of agape love. Teach us how to walk in that love. Thank you being a very present help in the time of trouble. Help us to stand firm in the midst of sinners and proclaim your Word without compromise. Give us the faith to trust you against all odds, even in the face of death. I praise you for quenching every fiery dart of the enemy and for rescuing us from our fiery furnace. Thank you Lord for the victory over sin and death. I decree and declare that we will not bow down in idol worship to anything this world has to offer. Your word says to shun the very presence of evil. Thank you Lord for your uncompromising love, favor, healing and deliverance. As the world celebrates Valentine’s Day, we celebrate you for being the lover of our souls. We love you and we honor you today! In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen!
By: Monique Duell
I am the mother of two teenage sons, one with special needs, I am also the caregiver for my adult brother with Autism and Epilepsy. I am the proud Author of my first inspirational book, “How Do I Handle a Special Needs Child?’ as well as my latest work, “Handicapped Mom: Lessons I learned through Cerebral Palsy”. I am a Guest Writer for Many Kind Regards online community and a parent contributor for Parenting Special Needs Magazine, Special Shades of Color and Complex Child Magazine. I was featured in the 2014 winter issue of, Legacy in the Making Magazine as a, “Brilliant Author” and in PG County’s, Progressive Life Center’s first newsletter in their “Inspirational Corner”. In addition to being a writer, I am a Minister and Blogger. My blog, “Breaking Free”, can be found at: www.monispeakstruth.wordpress.com.